ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Bottleneck

1999-08-20 06:15:13
Subject: Re: ADSM Bottleneck
From: Simon Watson <simon.s.watson AT SHELL.COM DOT BN>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 18:15:13 +0800
I can certainly see the merit in your approach.  It also tends to
reduce the dependancy on a single point of failure.

However, what would worry me is the Capital & Operating cost of this
approach.  The costs will increase proportionally as the number of
servers increases.  In our environment (using AIX) we are finding it
quite easy to scale up to manage increasing volumes of data, using a
single server, without significantly increasing the cost.  In fact the
bigger we are getting the cost per MB of data being backed up/stored is
reducing which is quite helpful in attracting customers and
centralising all our backups in the organisation.  This in turn is
reducing the overall cost to the company of providing a Storage
Management service.

The other advantage of a larger server is that it can be designed to
make more effective use of resources than can many separate servers.
Much like a four lane highway can carry a lot more traffic than 4
single lane roads.  Restore performance can also be significantly
improved as a single restore can make use of the resources of the
complete large system (depending on design of pools etc.), rather than
only getting the resources of one of a number of smaller systems.

In our case AIX is a clear winner over NT, simply because it is more
scallable & offers better performance, and in fact the Total Cost of
providing the solution is cheaper than it would be with NT.  Of course
if a single NT server offers sufficient performance then it is a very
good choice.

Regards,
Simon