ADSM-L

Re: IP-Alias on ADSM/AIX server

1999-08-19 15:56:15
Subject: Re: IP-Alias on ADSM/AIX server
From: Kells Kearney <kells AT WINTERLAND.MAINLAND.AB DOT CA>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 13:56:15 -0600
   Ohhhhh, I get it!   I had to read your description a couple
 of times before I understood what you meant (at least I
*THINK* I do! :).   My best guess is that your
network diagram looks like:

    ____________                                   _____________
    | AIX ADSM  |          Network A       |  NT  Client      |
    |   Server         |                         eth2   |

    |___________== Gb/s Ethernet ====____________|
                          en0                                         || ||
(eth0, eth1)
                                                    2x100Mb/s  //  \\
                                                    Ethernet*       Network B

        * Only one of eth0 or eth1 interface is active at a time
      NB: en0 is our AIX Gb Ethernet interface
             eth0, eth1 are our NT 100Mb Ethernet interfaces
                    on the same card (?? sounds bizarre)
             eth2 is our NT Gb Ethernet interface

    Fig 1:  Network diagram

  Given this diagram, Network A connects the AIX box and NT box.
If Network A is is a dedicated backup network ONLY for the NT box,
then making sure that Network A is, for instance, a non-routable IP
network like 192.168.10.0 will solve your problems.  Your AIX box's
en0 interface will be something like 192.168.10.1 and the NT box's
eth2 interface will be something like 192.168.10.2.

  However, I suspect that the reason you want IP aliasing is because
your Network A contains the AIX box, the NT box PLUS a bunch
of other boxes.  In this case, Network A == Network B.
If this is the case, you need (as you've stated) a way to specify that
backup traffic goes through the eth2 interface, rather than through the
eth0 or eth1 interfaces -- ie a "virtual Ethernet network" between the
NT and AIX box, which is done using an IP alias on the AIX.  (Whew!  :)

Let's assume that your "real" network uses a Class A address space
of 10.10.10.0 (with a Class C subnet mask :).  As an example, your eth0
and eth1 interfaces provide the IP address of 10.10.10.6 (and same MAC
address, hopefully -- this reduces arp cache timeout problems).  The
en0 interface on the AIX box has an IP of something like 10.10.10.42 .

  What we need to accomplish is to have two separate networks:
Network A and Network B.  Network B is in place and working,
and the AIX box has a working IP address here.  After adding the
IP alias (re-using the 192.168 addresses) on the AIX box of
192.168.10.1, and making sure that the NT has an IP of 192.168.10.2,
theoretically we should be done.

  I've just done this between an AIX 4.3.2 box and a Solaris 2.5.1 box.
I didn't need to do anything more complicated on the AIX side than

smitty tcpip
     -> Further Configuration
        -> Network Interfaces
            -> Network Interface Selection
                -> Configure Aliases
                    -> Add an IPV4 Network Alias
                             IP:            192.168.10.1
                             Netmask:  255.255.255.0

  NB: If you don't do it through smitty, undo what you've done, and
         use smitty.  It's more macho to use the command line, but it's
         MUCH more error-prone than using smitty.  If you don't mind
         playing the game of "What do I need to do in the ODM?", you
         can have hours of entertainment the whole network can enjoy too!

   As far as both the AIX and NT boxes knowing each other's MAC
address, that's the way that Ethernet works.  IP addresses get translated
to MAC addresses, and the stream of data goes across the network.
The analogy I like to use is that an IP address is like a street address (ie
1241 Kilborn Place, Ottawa, Canada) and a MAC address is
like the city planner's lot and section numbers (I'm completely making
this part up, but ie lot 27, section 4 ).  You and I use the street addresses
in order to figure out how to get from one area of the city to another (or
even WHICH city! :) whereas the city planners need a more exact
and predictable reference in order to determine where to put fire hydrants, etc.
The name would be the building name: ie the Waterford Apartments.

  (Ok, ok!  It's not a great analogy, but hopefully you get what I mean. :)

  Now, I have no idea if I'm telling you things you already know, so I apologize
in advance you're VERY familiar with the OSI model / TCP/IP stack stuff, and
you were mentioning the MAC address stuff as something that annoyed you.
("If you can figure out the MAC, why can't you respond to a ping, you silly
arp cache/router!" :)

   Hope that the above helps...

kells

"Any coincidence of opinions, real or imagined, between myself and
Mainland Information Systems Ltd is exactly that."