ADSM-L

Problem with backup DB2 using ADSM

1999-08-17 07:03:24
Subject: Problem with backup DB2 using ADSM
From: Sven Wienand <wienands AT HRZ.UNI-KASSEL DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:03:24 +0200
Hello!

The problem occurs when I use the backup function of DB2:
        db2 "backup database sample use adsm"

error-message:
        SQL2062N  An error occurred while accessing media
        "/home/dbtest2/sqllib/adsm/libadsm.a".  Reason code: "185".

The documentation of the error-message says that the reason code is send
from ADSM. It seems to be "DSM_RC_TL_EXCLUDED"-error which means the
database files are not included by the in/exclude list.

Lets have a look at my include-exclude at /usr/lpp/adsm:

        exclude /.../*
        include /etc/.../*
        exclude /tmp/.../*
        include /var/.../*
        exclude /var/loadl/.../*
        exclude /usr/.../*
        include /usr/admin/lib/adsm/restore/*
        include /home/.../*
->      exclude /home/work*/.../*
        exclude /home/.../xover-cache/.../*
        exclude /home/.../xover-cache/.../*
        exclude /home/.../cache/.../*
        exclude /home/.../*cache/.../*

as you can see the /home-dir is included
(the database resides at /home/dbtest2/...)

but, I'm still getting the same error message.

We checked this in another way, the database files are backed up each
night as a file system and so we have copies of them at our ADSM-Server.
This means that they _are_ included.

My last guess was that it is a problem with different versions of the
ADSM-API-libraries.

my questions:
   - is this really an in/exclude problem?
   - could it be a problem with different libraries?
   - why is libadsm.a needed?
        My docu (redbook "Using ADSM to Back Up Databases",
          (version of Dec. 1996, could that be a problem, I know there
          is a newer one?) ) says on page 349:
        "... 2. To prevent mixing files from different ADSM versions,
        we recommend that you delete the ADSM-only files from the
        /usr/lpp/db2*_/adsm directory ..."

        according to that docu I should delete libadsm.a, but that
        wouldn't resolve the problem.

   To your information:
        there are following symbolic links in /home/dbtest2/sqllib:
                bin@ -> /usr/lpp/db2_05_00/bin/
                adsm@ -> /usr/lpp/db2_05_00/adsm/
                lib@ -> /usr/lpp/db2_05_00/lib/
   - could that be a problem? I think it should not.

   - maybe the permissions are set wrong? (I wouldn't know why.)

/usr/lpp/adsm/
-rw-r--r--   1 root     system       324 Aug 17 10:34 include-exclude
/usr/lpp/adsm/bin/
/usr/lpp/adsm/bin/
-rw-r--r--   1 root     system      1094 Aug 16 16:02 dsm.opt
-rw-r--r--   1 root     system      1543 Jun 07 09:21 dsm.sys
-rw-r--r--   1 root     system      1543 Jun 07 09:21 dsm.sys
   - are there any other permissions, which I should check?
   - are there any other permissions, which I should check?

   - what is with the "userexit" programm, could it make trouble?

   - Did anybody have a suggestion to solve that problem?

I am running following versions:
   AIX 4.2.1
   ADSM-Server 3.1.2.30
   ADSM-Client 3.1.0.6   with   API-Client 3.1.7
   DB2 5.2

I set the ADSM-environment-variables:
        export DSMI_DIR=/usr/lpp/adsm/bin
        export DSMI_CONFIG=/usr/lpp/adsm/bin/dsm.opt
        export DSMI_LOG=/tmp

        The DSMI_DIR-variable shows the directory with
        the latest version of libApiDS.a.

I also set a symbolic-link
        /usr/lib/libApiDS.a -> /usr/lpp/adsm/api/bin/libApiDS.a

In DB2 I set following options:
        LOGRETAIN = ON
        USEREXIT = ON
        ADSM_MGMTCLASS = normal

The "userexit"-program was compiled using following command:
        xlC_r -o db2uexit2 db2uexit2.c \
                -L /usr/lpp/adsm/api/bin \
                -l ApiDS \
                -I /usr/lpp/adsm/api/bin/sample
        and copied to /home/dbtest2/sqllib/bin/db2uexit2.

Thank you for your help!

--
Sven Wienand
Sven Wienand