ADSM-L

The Value of Seq Volume History

1999-08-13 14:16:58
Subject: The Value of Seq Volume History
From: Mark Owens <Mark_Owens AT PRODIGY DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:16:58 -0400
Server - O/S390  2.1.0.18
Clients - many flavors

Hi All,

A question about the sequential volume history file. I recognize that an entry
is written for every
STGADD and STGDEL  for all DEVCLASS names. What
I'm trying to learn is what value does the content of this file serve? I do
periodically delete the TYPE=DBB records. I have not deleted the STGNEW
or STGDELETE records. (I realize the file is growing)

If I need a DB restore, I can use a variety of OS/390 tools to determine
the most current DB BU (volser ..etc.) . The ADSM DB keeps track of the
STGADD and volsers being used...... correct? Or does the ADSM DB use the
contents of the seq vol hist file when selecting a volser to fill?

Whats the rule of thumb for deleting STGADD and STGDELETE records ?

Mark Owens
Prodigy Communications Corporation