ADSM-L

Re: How can i automate adsm-c pkg install?

1999-08-11 15:43:01
Subject: Re: How can i automate adsm-c pkg install?
From: "Richard C. Dempsey" <dempsey AT KODAK DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 15:43:01 -0400
In our experience, the IBMadsm-c package will not install correctly when
run from the JumpStart finish script.  Rather, we use the finish script
to copy a simple Bourne shell script into /a/etc/init.d/S99adsmInstall.
This script nfs mounts the directory with the ADSM distribution in it,
adds the package, our standard config files (dsm.sys, dsm.opt, and
dsm.excl), umounts the distribution directory, and rm's itself.

Here's the meat of it:

#!/bin/sh
#
#       pkgadd_IBMadsm-c:
#
#
echo "Installing ADSM Client software using pkgadd command..."
#
BASE=/
MNT=/mnt
ADMIN_FILE=/tmp/admin
#
mkdir -p /usr/local
mkdir -p /etc/adsm/SpaceMan
#
mount -f nfs jumpstart:/export/Install/Solaris_2.6/jumpstart/Packages ${MNT} &
wait $!
#
cat >${ADMIN_FILE} <<DONT_ASK
mail=root
instance=overwrite
partial=nocheck
runlevel=nocheck
idepend=nocheck
rdepend=nocheck
space=ask
setuid=nocheck
conflict=nocheck
action=nocheck
basedir=default
DONT_ASK

echo " Package IBMadsm-c..."
/usr/sbin/pkgadd -a ${ADMIN_FILE} -d ${MNT}/IBMadsm-c_dir/sunadsm.pkg -R
${BASE} IBMadsm-c &
wait $!
umount ${MNT} &
wait $!
#
# Check that IBMadsm-c was installed
#
/usr/bin/pkginfo -i IBMadsm-c
#
if [ "$?" = "0" ]; then
   /usr/bin/echo 'adsm::once:/usr/bin/dsmc sched > /dev/null 2>&1 # ADSM
scheduler'>> /etc/inittab &
   wait $!
   /usr/bin/mv /dsm.excl /opt/IBMadsm-c/dsm.excl &
   wait $!
   /usr/bin/mv /dsm.sys /usr/bin/dsm.sys &
   wait $!
   /usr/bin/mv /dsm.opt /usr/bin/dsm.opt &
   wait $!
else
   /usr/bin/echo " "
   /usr/bin/echo "   WARNING !!! IBMadsm-c WAS NOT INSTALLED "
   /usr/bin/echo " "
fi
#
#

At 10:21 AM 8/11/99 -0700, you wrote:
>The JumpStart finish script is exactly what I'm interested in using. I'm
>putting together a Disaster Recovery Plan for a suite of Sun Servers. Once
>a JumpStart Server is built, the other machines can be loaded from it.
>
>The trick to installing adsm-c under these conditions is to get pkgadd to
>install non-interactively ... thus far I've had no success.
>
>I'd be interested in hearing how your cgi script works out.
>
>At 04:34 PM 8/10/99 , you wrote:
>>We have hacked jumpstart so that all kinds of things get automagically
>>added and configured during system builds.  Have a look at this option if
>>you are still building the machines.
>>
>>We also are testing a cgi script (Korn shell at the moment) which allows
>>the adding of a package to a large number of systems.  The script creates
>>another script which is scp'd (part of ssh but you could use rcp) to the
>>target machine.  This latter script checks that there is no existing
>>package installed and does some checking and backout things before remote
>>mounting the appropriate directory from jumpstart server and installing the
>>package.
>>
>>As ADSM requires no responses, it is easy to install this way.  Packages
>>such as RDBMSs are not so easy.
>>

>>m.
>>

>>Dustin Cavanaugh <dcavanaugh AT UCSD DOT EDU> on 11/08/99 06:52:44 am
>>
>>Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
>>

>>To:   ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>>cc:    (bcc: Michael Lightfoot/NSO/CSDA)
>>Subject:  How can i automate adsm-c pkg install?
>>

>>I need to be able to rapidly install the adsm client software on a large
>>number of sun solaris clients non-interactively. The only tools available
>>whatever is loaded with solaris7 (sh and csh, no perl). I've tried using an
>>inline script, but without success.
>>
>>Anyone got any ideas?

Richard C. Dempsey                 email: dempsey AT kodak DOT com
Public Online Services             pager: 716-975-3539
11th Floor, Bldg 83, RL            phone: 716-477-3457
Eastman Kodak Company              fax:   716-722-3885
Rochester, NY 14650-2203