ADSM-L

Re: PC Backups

1999-08-10 08:15:36
Subject: Re: PC Backups
From: Nathan King <nathan.king AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 07:15:36 -0500
Simon,

There's a lot of people out here in the forum who do backup workstations.
They will probably give you more info on the pitfalls of it. Some of them
may even have success stories.

Our organistation takes a similar stand to yours - "if it's important then
keep it on the servers."

Agreed that this often pushes disk space to the limits, but a good
chargeback system should be able
to take care of that.

I think that you'll find that in most cases the administrative costs and
burden in backing up 1,000 workstations
will outweigh increasing the disk space on your servers.

You are also relying heavily on the user to initiate the backups here.
I also think that this is a bad idea. At the end of the day when they loose
data for whatever reason..
(forgot to initiate backups.. user thought it was backing up etc..) you can
bet that you will be the one to blame.

I believe that the futher that we distribute storage, that the harder it
becomes to manage and maintain.
The workstation backup may look like a nice cheap solution to management but
for the people managing it.. it's
a nightmare.

Nathan