ADSM-L

7337 library

1999-08-09 11:24:44
Subject: 7337 library
From: "Wu, Jie" <JWu AT NCTR.FDA DOT GOV>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 10:24:44 -0500
I attached two mails concerning the usage of device driver for IBM tape
libraries. The first mail suggests that you do not need Atape driver for
ADSM, the 2nd is opposite. which one is correct?

Jie Wu
System and Storage Administrator
ROW Sciences Inc @NCTR FDA
phone: 870-543-7958
fax: 870-543-7382

>Do NOT use Atape/IBMtape driver for 7331, 7337, or 7332

> Forum:     ADSM - Archived Messages. (New Admin)
> Date:        1998, Jun 25
> From:       <rcbell AT US.IBM DOT COM>

 There is some understandable confusion about which driver to use for SC= SI
attached devices.  ADSM relies on the Atape driver for the Magstar family of
tap= es and libraries (on AIX), but it relies on the device driver shipped
with ADS= M for all others (DLT, 8mm, 4mm, QIC, optical drives, STK drives-
did I miss any?)   The= confusion is that when the new 7331 library is
purchased, it comes with a driver (At= ape on AIX, IBMtape on Solaris) for
the robot to go with the generic OST driver for=  the drive. That's to
support non-ADSM applications, but ADSM has its own driver fo= r these
devices.

 So to configure your 7331/7337, use Smit/Devices/ADSM Devices.   Select=
the library and drive options from that panel, and the device special files=
that you get are /dev/mtX and /dev/lbX (X =3D=3D some number from 0 to
whatever).

 On AIX, do NOT use /dev/rmtX.smc or /dev/smcX for the library robot.  (=
Nor /dev/rmtX for 8mm or DLT drives.)   However, those are the files you
would use fo= r 3570, 3575, 3590, and 3490.

 On Solaris, the story is the same except that instead of Atape, it's kn=
own as IBMtape, and the special files look slightly different.   For ADSM
devices , they ar= e /dev/rmt/Xmt (drives) or /dev/rmt/Xlb (library).  For
Magstar devices, = they're /dev/rmt/Xst (drives) or /dev/rmt/Xsmc (library).

 Craig Bell
 =