ADSM-L

Re: Server upgrade advice

1999-08-06 16:38:06
Subject: Re: Server upgrade advice
From: bbullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 14:38:06 -0600
        I agree with most of the steps in this process except for the part
about having to format new volumes and restoring the database. I have moved
and ADSM server between 2 AIX boxes 4 times now, and it is very simple. This
last Monday I moved a server from an R50 to an S70 with 90 minutes of
downtime to the user. A db restore is not necessary if you are going to do a
full cut-over to the new server and bring the old one down for good.

        My setup is very similar to yours. Our 6 ADSM servers run on a
variety of RS6000 servers running AIX 4.2.1 to 4.3.2, are attached to 3494
tape libraries with 3590 drives (6 servers sharing 3 libraries). The
Database and log volumes are on SSA disk drawers and created on JFS
filesystems (not that I think it would matter to the process).

        Here is a brief list of tasks I use as my guide.

DAY BEFORE THE UPGRADE
On new server.
  Make sure new server has all Y2k patches and microcode.
  Make sure ADSM server and client version is the same on both machines.
  Make sure you have same Atape and atldd drivers.

Copy over these files from the old server.
 /etc/filesystems
 /etc/hosts
 /.rhosts
 /usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin/dsmserv.dsk
 /etc/ibmatl.conf
 /usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin/vol.hist1
 /usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin/dev.config1
 /usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin/dsmserv.opt
 /usr/lpp/adsm/bin/dsm.opt
 /usr/lpp/adsm/bin/dsm.sys

DAY OF UPGRADE
On old ADSM server
 Disable logins to old ADSM server.
 Drain data from diskpools.
 Backup the ADSM database. (backup db dev=3590dev type=full scratch=yes)
 Make note of tape number.
 Shutdown adsm server correctly.
 copy dev.config1,vol.hist1 etc. etc. to another box. ( just a little more
CYA)
 Shutdown -F (on both servers).

 Uncable and move SCSI tape drives to new ADSM server.
  they must config on the new box in the same order or the library will get
confused.
 Uncable and move SSA disk drives to new ADSM server.
 Boot up new server.
 Import all vgs.
 Mount filesystems.
 Recheck ADSM config files to make sure they are correct, especially the
dsmserv.dsk file that tells the
  the new box where to look for the db and log volumes.
 Checkout the dbvols & logvols to make sure they are OK. (dsmserv display
dbvol, dsmserv display logvol.
 Bring up adsmserver.
 Bask in the glory of a job well done.

Ben