ADSM-L

Re: Additional administrators

1999-08-06 11:07:44
Subject: Re: Additional administrators
From: Jeffrey Fulmer <jfulmer AT WHITEOAKNET DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 11:07:44 -0400
Thomas Denier wrote:

> > I am having a problem with additional administrators.  When an
> > administrator other than root attempts to run "dsm &" they get the
> > following error:
> >
> > "ANS1505E Trusted Communication Agent has terminated unexpectedly."
> >
> > I set up additional administrators six months ago and they were logging
> > into dsm without problems up until the moment that the server crashed
> > ( when I was on vacation, of course :-)   Now, none of my additional
> > administrators cannot log in.
>
> The error message suggests a problem with the ownership or permission bit
> settings for dsmtca. This binary is in the same directory as dsm (/usr/adsm on
> most Unix systems). On my system an 'ls -l dsmtca' gives the following
> results:
>
> -rwsr-xr-x   1 root       bin         714667 Feb 15 13:27 dsmtca
>
> Note particularly the 's' in the fourth column. This indicates that the SUID
> bit is set, which enables dsmtca to perform functions requiring root authority
> even when it is invoked by a process running under a non-root account.

Thomas,

My permissions were correctly set.
But do you notice anything wrong with my dsmtca?
-rwsr-xr-x   1 root       bin                   0  Jul  05 16:23 dsmtca
I restored the file from tape and now everything's fine . . . .
I restored the file from tape and now everything's fine . . . .

Thanks,
Jeff