ADSM-L

Additional administrators

1999-08-06 10:44:47
Subject: Additional administrators
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 10:44:47 -0400
> I am having a problem with additional administrators.  When an
> administrator other than root attempts to run "dsm &" they get the
> following error:
>
> "ANS1505E Trusted Communication Agent has terminated unexpectedly."
>
> I set up additional administrators six months ago and they were logging
> into dsm without problems up until the moment that the server crashed (
> when I was on vacation, of course :-)   Now, none of my additional
> administrators can log in.

The error message suggests a problem with the ownership or permission bit
settings for dsmtca. This binary is in the same directory as dsm (/usr/adsm on
most Unix systems). On my system an 'ls -l dsmtca' gives the following
results:

-rwsr-xr-x   1 root       bin         714667 Feb 15 13:27 dsmtca
Note particularly the 's' in the fourth column. This indicates that the SUID
Note particularly the 's' in the fourth column. This indicates that the SUID
bit is set, which enables dsmtca to perform functions requiring root authority
even when it is invoked by a process running under a non-root account.