ADSM-L

Re: Server sizing for 400 additional clients

1999-08-06 10:04:16
Subject: Re: Server sizing for 400 additional clients
From: Marc Layne <MLayne AT CAPETOWN.FGH.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 16:04:16 +0200
Hi

Adding 400 clients to this machine will depend heavily on your network
infrastructure.. i.e. what bandwidth and which network you are using..
adding hardware such as tape drives, memory, disk, CPU's is all well and
good but you may still find the bottleneck to be the network...
e.g
If you had four tape drives each capable of 7MB/sec but your network was
say ethernet 100Mbits/sec that means your tape drives could handle
28MBytes/sec while your network was only capable of 12.5Mbytes/sec....
so also consider the network when sizing this machine..also probably the
most important resource to upgrade would be the memory first if you have
budget constraints...

ciao
Marc