ADSM-L

Re: StorageTek PowderHorn 9310

1999-08-05 10:38:49
Subject: Re: StorageTek PowderHorn 9310
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 10:38:49 -0400
We run STK 9710's with ACSLS on AIX 4.2.1.
We don't share the library, so I can't help you there.

But we just tried to upgrade our ACSLS from 5.2 to 5.3.
Don't go there, it's very buggy.
Stick with 5.2 for now, or go to 5.3.2 (it's not GA yet, but you can get it
as a patch version if you request it.)

After you get ACSLS installed, set the CAP mode to automatic, and the CAP
priority to non-zero.
That's something you do from ACSLS, not ADSM.  It's documented somewhere,
but not easy to find.

Defining the library & drives to ADSM is easy, just follow the examples in
the Admin Reference that are specific to ACSLS libraries.

The only thing that may not be clear is the ACSDRVID parm that you specify
to ADSM.  This is the ACSLS address for the drives, not the AIX address.  To
figure it out, just ask ACSLS what the drive id's are by entering the ACSLS
command:  q drive all
They will look something like:  0,0,2,4

You will get along with ACSLS much better if you take the time to browse
through the ACSLS adlministrator's guide and play with some of the ACSLS
commands before you crank up ADSM.

I've had the 9840 drives for about a month, so far they have worked
flawlessly.
But they are still on my test system, I haven't really stressed them yet.

BTW, I think you have to be at least at level 3.1.2.20 of ADSM to get the
support for 9840's.

Good luck!
Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert