ADSM-L

Optimal size of virtual volumes?

1999-08-02 05:39:58
Subject: Optimal size of virtual volumes?
From: Roger Hohmann <Roger_Hohmann AT WESTLB DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 11:39:58 +0200
We are using server-server virtual volumes for backing up our stgpools.
After doing this for some months, we are recognizing that our s-s copy
stgp needs more tapes than our primary pool.

I think it's ok so far, because we have expiration on the copy stgp and
on the target stgp of the backup server. But we would like to optimize
this.

We have reclamation thresholds of 60% for all stgpools and virtual
volume sizes of 1G. Most of the data are independent files of 10-50 MB
size (Lotus notes mail databases). We are using 10G Magstar tapes.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Roger Hohmann
Westdeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale