ADSM-L

Re: ADSM DRM scheduling on MVS and SUN

1999-07-28 04:44:44
Subject: Re: ADSM DRM scheduling on MVS and SUN
From: "Van Ruler, Ruud R SSI-TSEA-332" <Ruud.R.vanRuler AT IS.SHELL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:44:44 +0200
Kevin

this is how we take care of DRM:

All backup data must be received from the clients by 05.00 otherwise they
will not get an offsite copy until the next day.

we use the following Administrative command schedules:

05:00 COPY_BACKUPPOOL_TO_OFFSITE # copy backuppool to offsite carts
06:30 DATABASE_BACKUP # adsm server database backup
06:35 QUERY-DRMEDIA-TO-OFFSITE # query drmedia to go offsite
06:40 MOVE-DRMEDIA-OFFSITE-NOTMOUN # set offsite carts to notmountable
06:45 MOVE-DRMEDIA-OFFSITE # move drmedia to vault
06:55 PREPARE #  create a recovery plan file
08:00 AUDITLICENSE  # Daily Audit License command
08:00 EXPIRE # Expire
08:00 QUERY-DRMEDIA-VAULTRETRIEVE # query drmedia to return from vault
08:05 MOVE-DRMEDIA-ONSITE # move drmedia back onsite
09:30 COPY_BACKUPPOOL_TO_ONSITE # copy all backup data from dasd to
onsite cartridge
16:00 UPDATE_BACKUPPPOL_HIGHMIG # amend backuppool highmig to 95%

DRM

The Disaster Recovery Manager is active on the ADSM server. This function
allows for easier recovery of the ADSM server. Each day the information
about the latest client and ADSM database backups are created by the PREPARE
command in a dataset called: -

SYSADM.Jnnnnnnn.Txxxxxx

Where           nnnnnnnn        = Julian date created
                Xxxxxxx = Time created

Issue the SET DRMPLANPREFIX command to specify the prefix portion for the
generated recovery plan file. This prefix is used by PREPARE to generate the
file names containing the server recovery plan.

The above dataset names are stored on a DASD volume which is DFDSS dumped
every day after the creation of the above file
This dataset provides all the required information and commands to be able
to recover the server from scratch but as we take DFDSS dumps of the DASD
volume the first sections on database and other software related recovery
can be ignored.

The general recovery procedure should be as follows :-

DFDSS restore of DASD volume.

The commands can be entered manually rather than trying to run the jobs as
listed in the SYSADM.Jnnnnnnn.Txxxxxxx dataset: -

Find the commands with the following format

upd vol MUnnnn acc=READO wherestg=DISASTER-RECOVERY

and run these commands. This will set all the volumes at the drm site to a
readable state by the server.

Find the commands with the following format and run these: -
vary offline SYSADM.STORAGE.ARCH002 wait=yes
upd vol SYSADM.STORAGE.ARCH002 acc=DESTROYED wherestg=ARCHIVEPOOL

This will set all the old DASD backup and archive volumes, and any data on
them, to a destroyed status.

Find the following :-

//DRMPRIMC JOB
This section defines the new DASD datasets for the backup and archive
volumes. These will be needed if someone wishes to continue backing up data
even at the dr site. Run the whole job as listed in the dataset i.e. copy to
another member and run it. NOTE the DASD dataset names will be suffixed by
an '@'.

Find the following line: -

begin PRIMVOL.REPLACE macro

Run the commands in this section to define the databases created above to
the ADSM server.

To set the ONSITE volumes ( probably destroyed in the disaster ) to an
unavailable status enter the F ADSM,Q VOL parameter and enter the following
command for any cart with a status of ONSITE

upd vol MUnnnn acc=DESTROYED wherestg=ONSITE

Once the above actions have been completed all required data should be there
to be allow customers to recover data or store new backup data.

hope you'll find it useful !!!

             Ruud van Ruler
Shell Services International BV - TSEA-332
Our Data Storage Management home page:
http://sww-os390a.is.shell.nl/dstorage/
> Room 2A/D07
> Dokter van Zeelandstraat 1, 2285 BD Leidschendam NL
Tel : 070 - 3034644  /  Fax : 070 - 3034012
Email Internet: ruud.r.vanruler AT is.shell DOT com
                          r_van_ruler AT compuserve DOT com
Email X400:/S=vanRuler /I=R /C=GB /A=GOLD /P=Shell /O=IS

                                                            R.vanRuler