ADSM-L

Re: Disaster-Recovery, Any value?

1999-07-26 11:21:12
Subject: Re: Disaster-Recovery, Any value?
From: "Purdon, James" <james_purdon AT MERCK DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 11:21:12 -0400
Hi,
  That's a odd-sounding story and doesn't seem quite right.  My site has a
DRM license, but we only use some of its volume-tracking features: we
developed our disaster recovery procedures before there was a DRM.  In our
case, we have two primary tape pools (one for archives, the other for
backups) and two copypools which backup up all our primary pools, both tape
and disk based.  One of the copypools we keep on site (we wait for tapes to
fill and then put them in a rack), the second we keep off site (if a single
byte is written to a tape in this pool we take it out of the library and
send it off site).  These offsite  copypool volumes, along with our database
backups and some other stuff (backups of our volume history file, device
configuration file, and filesystem backups and mksysb backups of our ADSM
server) are what we would use to recover the system in the event of a
disaster.  When we do a "query DRM" we see volumes from both copypools and
database backup volumes (of course DRM doesn't indicate which is what). In
that sense, what the IBM rep told you is right - DRM is for recovering the
whole library.

  If you have a copypool and if the tape in your primary pool was backed up
to the copypool, you should be able to do a restore volume (though you might
have to do some work to get the right copypool tapes loaded into your
library - if you set them to read/write or read only ADSM will ask for them
if they aren't in your library).

  If you don't have copypools then you aren't taking advantage of the
recovery capabilities of ADSM.  In that case, I don't know what is in your
DRM - maybe just database backup volumes.

  Of course, even following all the rules sometimes you can run into a
situation where you have a bad tape in a primary pool that didn't or
couldn't get copied and so you've lost data.  That's why a feature which
would allow us to force ADSM to write to multiple tape volumes
simultaneously (some people call this dual-copy mode) when storing data in
primary tape-based pools would be nice.

So to sum up - if you have copypools and use them, you ought to be able to
recover volumes in the primary pool unless you've had really bad luck.