ADSM-L

Disaster-Recovery, Any value?

1999-07-26 10:35:44
Subject: Disaster-Recovery, Any value?
From: Scott Fluegge <sfluegge AT VENATORGROUP DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 10:35:44 -0400
OK,  I have had a minor disaster here which is making me fear the worst.

We lost one of our Novell Servers and had to rebuild it.  This meant restoring
it from ADSM.  The restore was started and was chugging along fine until it
called for a tape that it couldn't find.  The restore died at that point.  It
turns out that the volume in question has disappeared.  Our librarians have no
idea what happened to it.  No problem I thought.  I would just rebuild the tape
using my disaster-recovery pool (We use ADSM's DR manager).

I used the restore volume command but it came back saying the volume contained
files that could not be restored.  After many calls to IBM (I finally got level
3 help), I was told that there was no way to restore a single volume, or even a
single node from disaster-recovery media.  My data was simply lost and
un-recoverable (even though there was a copy of the data in DR).  I was told
that DR was only meant to rebuild an entire library and had no ties to files or
nodes.   I was told that if we lost our on-site location and needed to rely on
our DR tapes, the first thing we would have to do is re-create our entire
library.  That we could not use the DR tapes directly, they would first have to
rebuild the entire library.  I have more than 15 terrabytes of data being held.
If I had to wait to build that it would take weeks before I could even start
restoring nodes!!!

The support person continued to tell me that for the future I should create a
second storage pool, an on-site copy pool.  That would provide the only means
for rebuilding tapes.  But I would need to purchase more than 1000 3590c tapes
at around $100 each!  Not to mention the storage consideration.  We have 8
frames in our 3494 and it is FULL! and keeping that much additional data would
pound our database and dramatically reduce its response time.

What are you all doing?  Does anybody use the DR manager and expect it to work
the way I used to?  Am I missing something?  We are re-thinking our whole
philosophy here and I could use some help and support!

Thanks!!!!!

Scott