ADSM-L

Re: Performance

1999-07-24 12:42:17
Subject: Re: Performance
From: Nathan King <nathan.king AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 11:42:17 -0500
Steffan,

You know what? I'm confused as to what's best -  ADSM mirroring Vs. Hardware
Mirroring.

Personally I've always thought that Hardware mirroring would always be
better. I understand the concern regarding
the partial page write, but we've never experienced this (not that I'm aware
of anyways). I know that some people have, but I don't think it's
widespread.

The bottom line is that when I attended IBM's introductory class (about a
year ago) I was actually told that ADSM mirriroing was not only more robust
but
performed better than hardware mirroring.. infact I've heard this from other
sources also. Somehow that's never rung true for me though.

The truth of the matter is that I've seen no stats to prove either way. Has
anyone actually done the homework here and made an equal comparison.

Going back to the disk config. We have two disks in each drawer devoted to
the database and one for the recovery log. Each of these disks is hardware
mirrored.

So that makes a total of 2*2*8=32disks (not of all which we are currently
using) for the database and 16 for the recovery log.

Nathan