ADSM-L

Re: Shared Memory Question

1999-07-20 08:28:05
Subject: Re: Shared Memory Question
From: Alex Masters <AMasters AT TANDB.CO DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:28:05 +0100
Not that I've found! I am able to operate client admin sessions as a non-root
user, having set the SUID bit to root on the dsmadmc binaries. The client
however didn't benefit from this treatment at all - as soon as the node
password has been requested, (meaning client - server comm's) I can't even
query the server via shared memory.

If anyone has any workarounds, I'd love to hear, because it forces all our
backup/restore work to be done by our AIX sysadmin. team.

Regards

Alex...

>>> missy lady <missy_lady AT HOTMAIL DOT COM> 20/07/99 10:26:00 >>>
I have configured an installation of ADSM 3.1.0.7 on AIX 4.3 and am useing
SHARED MEMORY as the communications method, when I do a backup from the
command line as ROOT it executes correctly however when a non root user
attempts the same thing the user receives a message telling them that they
can't write to the shared memory area ,
       Is there a way that I can allow a non root use to do this ?

   Thanks in advance

** IMPORTANT INFORMATION **
This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("the Intended
Recipient")
to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which is privileged and
confidential
within the meaning of applicable law. Accordingly any dissemination,
distribution, copying
or other use of this message or any of its contents by any person other than
the Intended
Recipient may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is strictly
prohibited.

If you are not the Intended Recipient please contact the sender and dispose of
this email
as soon as possible. If in doubt contact the Tibbett & Britten Group Network
Administration
Department on 01707 391010 (UK).