ADSM-L

GUI hangs

1999-07-13 15:53:09
Subject: GUI hangs
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:53:09 -0400
I recently attempted to use the GUI interface to restore a group of files to
an HP-UX 10.20 system using the 3.1.0.6 ADSM client. The files were originally
backed up by another HP-UX 10.20 system with the same level of the client
software. I used the -virtualnodename option to get the system performing the
restore to look like the original system. I selected one of the file systems
and then deselected a number of directories and a number of files within that
file system. After I clicked on the 'Restore' button, I selected a different
file system as the destination and asked ADSM to proceed with the restore. The
GUI then claimed to be "Preparing...". I stopped and restarted the process
several times and always saw similar behavior. The last time the session with
the ADSM server sent about 6 megabytes of data to the client over a prolonged
period and then went into an idle wait state. By the time I gave up on this
last attempt the session had been idle for over half an hour and the GUI still
claimed to be preparing.

This whole business started when a manager who is skeptical about ADSM asked
me and some of my coworkers to restore a key application on a test server. The
exhibition of ineptitude described above is not likely to increase the
manager's confidence in ADSM.