ADSM-L

SQL Server Agent Query

1999-07-13 05:14:54
Subject: SQL Server Agent Query
From: Neil Schofield <Neil_Schofield AT YORKSHIREWATER.PLC DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 10:14:54 +0100
Can anybody help me with a query about the SQL Server Connect Agent?

We use the SQL Server Connect Agent v1.1.1 to backup databases on SQL
Server 7. We use a mixture of nightly full backups and transaction log
backups during the day.

Suppose I were using SQL Server (eg Enterprise Manager) to restore a
database. When I restored the database using the full backup as a starting
point, I would have to specify whether or not SQL Server should roll back
any uncommitted transactions using the WITH RECOVERY / WITH NORECOVERY
option. Assuming I needed to subsequently restore a number of transaction
logs, I would specify WITH NORECOVERY.

If I were using the SQL Connect Agent for ADSM (eg SQLDSMC /RESTOREFULL)
how would I make this distinction?

BTW, can anybody at IBM give me some idea of a 'roadmap' for the ADSM SQL
Server Connect Agent? What I'm looking for is timescales for the
introduction of things like Differential database backups (new in SQL
Server 7), Web-based GUI for remote administration, automatic deletion of
obsolete database backups, etc.

This info will help us to decide how widely we use the Connect Agent. In a
lot of cases, we gain a lot more by doing on-line backups to disk under the
SQL Server Agent and backing these up using the 'normal' backup/archive
client.

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be legally
privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only and are subject
to the legal notice available at http://www.yorkshirewater.com/email.htm