ADSM-L

Re: NT Shared Directory Restoration

1999-07-09 05:32:54
Subject: Re: NT Shared Directory Restoration
From: "Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT NL>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 11:32:54 +0200
Hi Joshua!
I do not know the exact answer to your question but I have a comment on
this.
Windows NT Share Permissions are not bound to the shared directory
physically. Windows NT stores the share related information (which directory
is shared and what are the permissions) somewhere else. I don't know where
but I think it's either the registry or the SAM database. My guess is that
you have to restore one of these files too after restoring a previously
shared directory.
If a directory was deleted without the knowledge of NT (when you normally
delete a shared directory you are prompted by NT that it is a shared
directory and that deletion causes Windows to stop sharing it) Windows will
automatically start sharing the directory again as soon as it is recreated.
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon