ADSM-L

Re: "Full" backup suggestions

2015-10-04 17:41:27
Subject: Re: "Full" backup suggestions
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
On Tue, Jul 06, 1999 at 02:31:20PM -0400, Weeks, Debbie wrote:
> Thanks Wanda, that was one of my fears, but it was suggested to me by an
IBM
> rep when we set up the machine.
>
> As for the appeal to the higher ups, we are a state organization, so an
> annual budget of $60-70,000 for tapes is not considered tiny.  We were
> spoiled by years of cheap 3480 cartridge prices.  The cost of the 3570s
has
> blown management's mind.

We have run in the same problem with the 3570s and they cost alot more here
than in the US (~$110 AUD per tape, compared to ~$68 USD). The cost is so
high
that we are looking at purchasing a DLT robot or 3494  (3590 drives) robot
to keep the costs down. The 3590/DLT solution reduce the cost of the tape
media by a factor of 6 before compression. Even after the purchase of the
robot we will still be spending less than we would be on 3575 tapes for full
backups.

IBM excuse for the differences in tape cost was there is one manufacturer
of 3575 tapes and there are atleast 3 for 3590 tapes.

        -richard-