ADSM-L

informix backups

1999-06-30 12:19:20
Subject: informix backups
From: Jonathan Townsend <jonathan_townsend AT BCTEL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 09:19:20 -0700
Hi,
We currently use ADSM to backup several informix databases. A full
backup is performed every other day (using onbar). We keep five
versions. I would like to change this to keep the last two backups and
and two other versions (2/4 weeks old). The last two backups would not
need to go offsite as we only do offsite storage every other week. The
older backups would be required to go offsite. We are using drm.

We currently implement this with a second stanza in dsm.sys (called
onbar). This stanza uses a new node name XXX_db which is associated with
our database policy domain. Since onbar will use the default mgmt class
in this domain and all the backups look the same to ADSM (ie each full
backup is a version of same file), is there a better/easier way to
implement these chages.

I'm thinking of creating a new domain with associated copy groups for
the daily (most current) backups and leaving the old one for the
bi-monthly backups.I could then set my copy groups to the desired
retention periods. To do this I would have to have the add a new stanza
to dsm.sys (new node) and change the api dsm.opt file prior to every
backup to point to the correct stanza. I think this will give me the
desired results, but was wondering if there might be better way.

adsm 3.1.0.6
aix 4.3.2.0
3575 library
Client API 3.1.6