ADSM-L

Too many Tape Mounts

1999-06-28 06:10:00
Subject: Too many Tape Mounts
From: Grant.Cohn / internet, , Grant.Cohn AT SAPREF DOT COM
To: ADSM-L / internet, , ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Monday, June 28, 1999 10:10AM
Greetings all

We have just upgraded our ADSM s/ware from Version 2 to Version 3.

Our current set-up is  ADSM Server 3.1.1.0 (Running on RS6000 AIX 4.1.5)
                                ADSM NT Client 3.1.0.3  (Running on NT
Server 4 SP3)
                        IBM 3570 Dual tape drive.

We run a daily archive on three of our NT Clients. The problem that has
occurred since the upgrade is that during an archive run, one tape volume
belonging to a storage pool that IS NOT used for that NT client is
mounted/unmounted about 500 times a night! The volume that is mounted so
many times only contains directory information from the NT client, and not
data files as such.

In the end the archive does complete and uses the correct storage pool for
all data files. The dsmcsched.log on the NT Server is filled
with 'Waiting for mount of offline Media' messages every time this strange
volume is mounted.

Has any of you seen this, or better still have any clues how I can solve
this.

The management class for this server IS correct. We changed no settings on
the NT client, only the ADSM software.

Many thanks

Grant Cohn
Shell & BP Petroleum Refinery