ADSM-L

Nervous migrations?

1999-06-23 11:30:00
Subject: Nervous migrations?
From: Bob Brazner <Bob.Brazner AT JCI DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 10:30:00 -0500
Our storage migration thresholds for our diskpool are set to 25 and 10 with
numpr=3.  We do not use colocation.  When migration (disk to tape) runs, the
process will start, process 1 small file, then finish with a completion state
of success.  Then, a few seconds later, another migration will process 1 small
file and finish.  And on ad infinitum.  Sometimes a migration process will
actually do a bunch of files where bunch is a number like 20 or 50 comprising a
total of a whopping 1MB.  We're on 3.1.2.20 on AIX 4.3.1, but we also saw this
pattern on 3.1.1.5.  This pattern of behavior is not consistent with my reading
in the manual.  Can anyone shed some light on this?