ADSM-L

Re: HSM for NETWARE

1999-06-22 10:50:03
Subject: Re: HSM for NETWARE
From: Steve Fletcher <sfletcher AT GIANTOFMARYLAND DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 10:50:03 -0400
Winfried and Walter (and anyone else interested)...
If there is an HSM solution for Netware with an interface to ADSM, I am
interested!!  I have been looking for two years.  As indicated earlier there
"was" a product called AvailHSM for Netware, that has been passed from company
to company.  Seagate has no intention of upgrading the product preferring
customers to migrate to Storage Migrator for NT which is supposed to hook into
Neware servers via an agent running on the Netware server.  The product isn't
due out till next year I believe, though they have said that for a year.  Sounds
like Windows eh?  Anyway, the one drawback with AvailHSM is that it only works
with bindery emulation which complicates the picture.  I had a call this morning
from a company called Softworks which is also working on an HSM solution for
Netware but they wouldn't give me any idea as to when to expect the product.

The only product I have seen that looks at Netware and ADSM is Sterlings SAMS
Vantage DP which can kick off ADSM archives.  It cannot however address
automated retrieval of archived files like a true HSM solution.

Personally, I think IBM should seriously consider developing a Netware HSM
solution.  They were in "cohoots" with Novell at one point.  There are a lot of
customers out there in the same boat as are we.  An HSM solution with direct
interfaces into Netware would in my humble opinion be a nice selling point!

If anyone else has any information to the contrary, especially if it is better
news, I would like to hear from you.

Thanks!