ADSM-L

Re: 3570 Compression

2015-10-04 17:42:38
Subject: Re: 3570 Compression
From: Spruiell, Shaun [mailto:SSpruiel AT PHS DOT ORG]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Thanks for your replies Wes and Tom.  What kind of clients are you
backing up?  We are about 90% netware and 10% NT.  I migrated 16 gigs of
data from disk to tape to come up with the 1.25:1 number.  I ended up
with 1 tape @ 8 gigs, 1 tape @ 6 gigs, 1 tape @ 5 gigs 25% full.  I
queried the 8 gig tape and all the files were from a netware server.
 Things like directories, .docs, .xls and such and they were uncompressed
when they got to the tape drives.  I'd think that we represent a large
section of the typical customer base for the 3570 drives and if it's a
matter of files that are not eligible for compression, then I'd like to
know what file types IBM used to come up with 3:1 compression.  Shaun