ADSM-L

Bare Metal Restores Without a Recovery Partition

2015-10-04 17:42:38
Subject: Bare Metal Restores Without a Recovery Partition
From: Ken Franklin [mailto:kpfadsm AT HOTMAIL DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Is it possible to run a Bare Metal Restore without a Recover Partition?  I
am evaluating ADSM for use on NT workstations and so far I haven't had any
luck.  On page 159 of the ADSM Redbook "ADSM Client Disaster Recovery: Bare
Metal Restore", we are told a Bare Metal Restore can be performed by
installing Windows NT from scratch or having a recovery partition.  The
instructions then go on to discuss how to use a recovery partition but never
say how to restore a system without a recovery partition.  In our
environment, where we have 600 NT machines without recovery partitions, it
would be much easier to install NT from scratch.  Here is what I've tried so
far, does anyone have any ideas where I'm going wrong?

-I installed ADSM on a fairly clean system.  From the GUI, I ran a full
backup, then a registry backup.  I then reformatted the hard drive and
backup, then a registry backup.  I then reformatted the hard drive and
installed a fresh copy of NT, choosing the same computer name as I had
before.  I connected to the network successfully and restored my files, then
my registry. The error message I received depended on how I installed
Windows NT. If I installed NT in the Winnt2 directory, I received the error
"Windows NT could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt: \winnt\system32\config\systemhardware profile/last known good menu"
and was told I could attempt a repair.  The repair could not find a copy of
NT.  If I installed NT in the WinNT directory, I received a different error
(which I failed to write down) but still could not boot.

I also tried installing a base NT configuration configured for my computer
name, then made an image using the program Ghost.  I then installed Office
2000 and Netscape, then ran a backup.  Next, I reformatted the drive,
restored my base image and used ADSM to restore both my files and registry.
Everything looked OK at first but Internet Explorer gave Dr Watson errors
when I start IE and NTVDM eats up 100% of my CPU time until I end the
process.