ADSM-L

Re: Selective Backup & Management Class - What Is It I Don

1999-06-16 16:30:51
Subject: Re: Selective Backup & Management Class - What Is It I Don
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 15:30:51 -0500
     1st... if you want it for 180 days which denotes a duration of time...
     I'd use "archive" and a "-archmc=my180dayarchivemanagementclassname"
     Now what might be the problem you are seeing...
     try
     AIX> script -a myadsmoptions
     AIX> dsmc
     dsmc> q opt
         ...output...
     dsmc> quit
     AIX> exit
     AIX> more myadsmoptions
     and look for the include/exclude specification to make sure it is
     using the file you are editing...

     Oh, you did make sure and validate & activate the domain once you
     defined the new management class...  check your dsmerror.log from your
     selective to see if there are any messages about where a mgmtclass
     might not have existed thus the default was used.

     (I'd still just do an archive ;-) )

     later,
         Dwight

Subject: Selective Backup & Management Class - What Is It I Don't
Author:  Steven.Chaba (Steven_Chaba AT RGE DOT COM) at unix,mime
Date:    6/16/99 3:11 PM

Scenario:
Server 3.1.1.5 on AIX 4.2.1.0
Client 3.1.0.6 on AIX 4.2.1.0 (not the same machine)

We have some "stuff" set up for Y2K testing. In case we corrupt this
"stuff", we want a full ("selective") backup of certain directories to be
retained for 180 days, so we can pull back the whole goup of "stuff" to the
finished install point if we want to.

1) I created a new Management Class called Y2KTEST in the STANDARD domain
with parameters of 100 versions each inactive and only, retention 180 days
for both active and inactive.

2) I modified the /etc/inclexcl.def to specify:

include /stuff/.../*  y2ktest

at the bottom of the inclexcl.def file.

3) I cycled the ADSM scheduler on the client node (just in case it only
reads the inclexcl.def on startup).

4) I ran dsmc to do my selective right away:

selective /stuff/ -subdir=yes

5) ADSM reports that the backups ran fine. If I go into the b-a GUI on the
client, it reports the right date and time for the backups, but says
they're in the DEFAULT management class.

What am I doing wrong here?

Is there some subtle difference between backing up directory trees and
filesystems? If my information is correct, each of the starting points I'm
specifying for "stuff" is a filesystem. (Note that I'm pretty new to AIX.
My last lifetime involved support of an O/S which, once you grafted disk
space onto the directory structure, handled directories and files the same
regardless of what physical or logical disk they were on, so I'm not yet
clear how directory trees differ from filesystems in AIX.)

Any/all help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Steven
Steven Chaba, Lead Analyst
Distributed Systems Technical Support
Rochester Gas & Electric Corporation, Rochester, NY
716.771.2137 voice