ADSM-L

Starting dsmc schedule on HP-UX

1999-06-15 13:05:23
Subject: Starting dsmc schedule on HP-UX
From: Joe Goshko <Joseph.Goshko AT SAVILLEMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:05:23 -0600
Hi Mark/Geetam,

Geetam's reply with the HP init script is the standard way to do this, but what
we tried to do was provide a similair facility as AIX for the scheduler.

In AIX, the default is to place the following line in /etc/inittab:

     adsm:2:respawn:/usr/lpp/adsm/bin/dsmc schedule -quiet >/dev/null 2>&1

With respawn, if the scheduler "dies", it is automatically restarted, helping
ensure a successful backup/archive.  We used a similiar line on HP-UX (10.20 and
11.0), which worked, but placed the wrong time of day in the dsmsched.log for
events.  This was finally tracked down to the fact that HP, in their infinite,
or infinitesimal wisdom, does NOT source /etc/TIMEZONE on inittab executions,
but defaults to the Eastern time zone.  The work around was the following
inittab entry:

     adsm:234:respawn:/usr/bin/su - root -c "/usr/bin/dsmc schedule -quiet
>/dev/null 2>&1"

Doing the su sources /etc/TIMEZONE, providing correct time reporting.

For our environment, ensuring the scheduler stays running is paramount; your's
may dicatate otherwise.

FYI on the HP Eastern timezone:  HP has stated that it is the responsibily of
the program/command started by init to source /etc/TIMEZONE, although AIX and
SunOS appear to do this by default from init.  I have asked IBM to do this
sourcing from the ADSM client, but as of 3.1.0.6, it still requires the su.

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and intended
solely for the use of the addressee(s) listed above.  If you have obtained
this message in error or otherwise, please notify the sender and destroy
all copies of this message immediately.