ADSM-L

NetWare performance w 3.1.0.7 client and older server

1999-06-09 20:45:13
Subject: NetWare performance w 3.1.0.7 client and older server
From: Paul Zarnowski <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 20:45:13 -0400
This is a PTF7 NetWare performance question:

Does anyone know if there are any known performance problems running the
new 3.1.0.7 Netware client with a server earlier than 3.1.2.30?  The PTF7
client adds LFN support (yay!), but the README file indicates that the
server needs to be at 3.1.2.30 to get the LFN support.  Here's why I ask
about performance..

Our server is still at 3.1.2.13.  One of our Netware users upgraded their
client to PTF7.  That evening (2 nights ago), and the evening after (last
night), their backups slowed waay down.  Like from 3-4 hours before
upgrading to 18+ hours after upgrading.  During the first incremental, all
the files on only 1 of their volumes were "updated" (according to the
scheduler log).  Only 1 volume - none of the other volumes - did this.
This updating took a long time.  Besides that, the processing of files on
other volumes also slowed way down.  This is for files that did not change.
 You know, there are lines in the scheduler log indicating "nn,nnn files
processed"?  The timestamps on these were MUCH further apart on the PTF7
client, than they were before they upgraded, indicating that it was taking
ADSM much longer just to process files.  I should state that the node was
upgraded from a version 2 client.

I can schedule an upgrade of our server, but I'd like to know if this is
likely to solve the performance issue or if the problem lies elsewhere.
Any thoughts from you experts out there?

Thanks in advance.
..Paul