ADSM-L

Re: DLT4000 with Adsm 3.1.2.20 NT

2015-10-04 17:42:37
Subject: Re: DLT4000 with Adsm 3.1.2.20 NT
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
1) The server does not decompress the data before writing it to tape.
Only the client or the drive is involved in compression.

2) Usually the server uses estcap for estimating the remaining space
until the tape is full (adsm found end-of-volume). Then the amount of
data the server received (after client compr) is used. But I don't know
why 19500 has 52.9% ? Some data expired or volume write errors?

Regards

Roger

G Christian schrieb:

> Hi Adsmers,
>
> I have some strange things that i don't understand under ADSM NT
> 3.1.2.20 with my robot which is a 9714 STK (6 x DLT4000):
>
> the DLT4000 is able to write in 2 mode :
>   20 Go : native write
>   40 Go : compressed write
>
> 1) when a client has the compress option, did Adsm de-compress data
> when he receveid it ? (or did it store  it like that in storage pools
> disk ?...)
>
> So if data in storage pools disk are already compressed, the DLT4000
> will not compress very good after of course !!
>
> 2) in the device class options, i put :
>   DLT for "Device Type"
>   DRIVE for "Format"
>   40Go for "Est/Max Capacity"
>
> but i can change the "Format" option by put 20c instead of DRIVE.
>
> The problem is when i look the storage volumes, volumes have storage
> like :
>  40960 Mo   47  %   Filling
>  19500 Mo   52,9%   Full
>  18352 Mo   100 %   Full
>  etc...
>
> So, the problem is i don't know if Adsm calculate the storage with 40
> Go or with 20 Go with compress..!..
>
> Any idea of it ?
>
> Chris

/-----------------------