ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:43:36
coleman AT POST.QUEENSU DOT CA wrote:
>The processor appears to be robust enough to handle our load (we move about
>25 GB a day). I would not reccomend IBM peripherals (disk & tape). The tape
>libraries are a real pain. I seem to have to replace a drive a month. Tapes
>become unreadable. Totally unsatisfactory.  I have one IBM disk (7204-325
>4.5 GB differential SCSI) that I have had to replace the dive 4 times since
>December.

We're running IBM SSA disks and have about three go bad in all the time we've
used
them. So they're no more unreliable than Seagate, WD, Quantum et al.
Primary applications here are Oracle and SAP which tend to thump the disks.

For tapes we use an IBM 3494 library, which has broken down once in the year we
had
it - and that was put down to having to move it to a new building.

As to system choice, although I'm a Sun loyalist, I would say go AIX. For ADSM
AIX is
far better suited than either Solaris or 'NT, and IMHO IBM will always support
AIX better
than the other two.  But you will pay for the priviledge.

> For tapes, I would recommend AIT technology. My readings are that this
>technology is more reliable than DLT or Exabyte.
I've no experience of AIT, although I hear good things about it. 4mm DAT is
utter rubbish,
(far too many failures), Exabyte/8mm DAT is much better. DLT is pretty amazing
(reputedly)
reliable, and very fast.

Bob Cross, Scottish & Newcastle plc.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are authors own.
--Boundary_(ID_ewK2Z1wBaS94ZPmvGihCzw)--