ADSM-L

Migration Mishap

1999-05-26 13:25:15
Subject: Migration Mishap
From: Adam Slesinger <aslesinger AT US.BNSMC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 13:25:15 -0400
Hey everyone,

Test scheduled archives ran on all of our machines last night.  The data
is sent first to disk (ARCHIVEPOOL) and then, later in the day, is
migrated to tape (TAPEARCHIVEPOOL).  However, we don't have enough disk
to hold all of the archived data, so usually about 7G migrates over to
TAPEARCHIVEPOOL which is the next storage pool. All this is fine except
for the error that we received early this morning.  Two processes for
migration took place as the thresholds were met, once at 2:00am and the
other at 6:55am.  The same tape was grabbed, but as the second migration
started, an I/O error appeared, the tape was marked unavailable, another
migration process started, and then a different tape was used instead.

Here are my questions:

Is there any chance that data was lost when the I/O error occurred?
How does ADSM handle interrupted processes for migration?
I changed the tape's access back to read/write and then successfully did
a move data to get the data off the tape so I could eject the bad tape
and throw it away.  What if I couldn't read tape when trying this
process?  Is the data on that tape lost for good?

Server: 3.1.1.5 on AIX 4.2.1

Thanks for your help!

adam
Adam Slesinger