ADSM-L

Re: Oracle incremental backup

1999-05-26 10:34:32
Subject: Re: Oracle incremental backup
From: Stefaan Maes <smaes AT FTLBE.FRUIT DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 15:34:32 +0100
For our Oracle Backups we use EBU for the Oracle 7.3.X databases. This works fine and even the recovery is very easy. For our production database (about 60 GB) it takes us less than 2 hours. We are running ORACLE 7.3.3.6, with ADSM 3.1.0.3. We NEVER take incremental backups but always FULL ONLINE backups. The databases are available for the users during this backup, they are only stopped on Sunday for a OFFLINE backup.
Perhaps something to think about.

Stefaan

DOUGLAS STRILECKY wrote:

We are running ADSM 3.1.1.3 on an H50 under AIX 4.3.  We backup to a disk pool and then migrate the data to tape later. We use an STK9710 library with DLT7000 tapes drives.  We currently backup 60+ servers and aprox 200GB a night. The majority of the data backed up is full backups of Oracle data bases.  Most of our Oracle data bases are v7.3.X.  We also have a couple  that are V8.  We have two servers with large Oracle databases(aprox 200GB each- V7.3.5) we want to add to ADSM.  When/if that happens under our current environment we will no longer meet our backup window.  We have been discussing doing incremental backups on the Oracle data bases(do a full backup on Sunday and then backup the logs during the week).  I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience(good & bad) doing incremental Oracle backups.  I'd also be interested in your method of doing them.

Thanks

Doug Strilecky
BCBSM
dstrilecky AT bcbsm DOT com