ADSM-L

Re: sun client with suppressed messages to server log

1999-05-25 17:07:30
Subject: Re: sun client with suppressed messages to server log
From: "Richard C. Dempsey" <dempsey AT KODAK DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 17:07:30 -0400
The V2 client doesn't send anything to the server log.
Also, if the client is running with -quiet, then it sends
precious little to the client logs (SCHEDLOGNAME option).

Rich

At 02:18 PM 5/25/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Does anyone know of an instance where a V2 SUN client would be able to
>suppress its backup information to the server log? I had occasion to review
>some problems with one of these beasts recently, and found, much to my
>dislike, that there was no information in the activity logs concerning
>backups --- and yes, the machine WAS backing up because the file space was
>being updated, and SMF records were being cut for each backup run, but still
>not reference in the activity logs (either via the CLI, admin GUI, or from
>the ADSM MVS server itself). There are no parms in place on the server side
>that suppress this degree of detail, so I'm left trying to figure out
>whether one of the systems administrators has a really powerful script
>running that can play this type of game, or something is particularly
>unusual with a SUN client still using V2 (and there are no immediate plans
>to upgrade either the OS or the ADSM client level at this time --- oh,
>well).
>
>Thanks much to all.
>
>Cindy
>
>*       Cynthia L. (Cindy) Cannam, MBA
>*       Southwestern Bell Telephone
>*       Systems Manager/Technical Support
>*       Open Systems Storage - ADSM
>*       (314)340-0722 work
>*       (314)879-1696 pager
>*       (314)340-0992 fax

Richard C. Dempsey                 email: dempsey AT kodak DOT com
Public Online Services             pager: 716-975-3539
11th Floor, Bldg 83, RL            phone: 716-477-3457
Eastman Kodak Company              fax:   716-722-3885
Rochester, NY 14650-2203