ADSM-L

How to check the status of the ADSM server?

1999-05-24 17:09:45
Subject: How to check the status of the ADSM server?
From: Louis Avrami <louis_avrami AT ES.ADP DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 17:09:45 -0400
     Hello all,

        We're running AIX 4.3.2, Command Line Backup Client Interface -
     Version 3, Release 1, Level 0.1 on a couple of our UNIX servers.

        I'm writing a shell script to backup our Oracle databases.  In the
     script I'm checking the status of various things before actually
     starting the backup.  First I check the status of the tape drive:

                if /usr/bin/mt -f $NO_REWIND_TAPE_DRIVE status
                then
                    echo "\n$NO_REWIND_TAPE_DRIVE Ok at `date`"
                else
                    DEVICE_BAD=YES
                    # do some things to notify about the drive failure
                    # and exit the script
                fi

        If the tape drive is OK, I would then like to check the status of
     ADSM.  Looking through the help files and the docs that I do have,
     there doesn't seem to be a 'QUERY STATUS' command.  The closest
     equivalent that I could find so far is 'QUERY ACCESS':

                if /usr/bin/dsmc query access password=$ADSMPASS
                then
                    echo "\nADSM ok at `date`"
                else
                    ADSM_BAD=YES
                    # do some things to notify about the drive failure
                    # and exit the script
                fi

        Does anyone know of a "better" command to ascertain the status of
     an ADSM server in batch mode?

        Also, I believe that there is a way to use encryption when passing
     a password to the ADSM server.  If someone could send along some
     pointers on how to set up and use password encryption, I would
     appreciate it.

     Thanks,

     Lou Avrami ( louis_avrami AT es.adp DOT com )