ADSM-L

Lets play "BUG or FEATURE" or "GOOD THING / BAD THING"

1999-05-20 16:04:26
Subject: Lets play "BUG or FEATURE" or "GOOD THING / BAD THING"
From: "Robinson, Cris" <Cris.Robinson AT LIBERTYMUTUAL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 16:04:26 -0400
Ok, maybe I'm going insane and I would have to say it's been a short trip to
this point so here we go...

It was a GOOD THING that ADSM gave us the ability to create CLIENTOPT FILE
definitions at the server

It was a BAD THING that you cannot assign a default CLIENTOPT FILE so that
when a new node registers with the
server it automatically gets the default ClIENTOPT FILE. Nodes get a default
management class so why not associate the
OPTFILE with a management class?

It was a GOOD THING that ADSM gave us the ability to use the command UPDATE
NODE * CLOPTFILE="OPTFILENAME"
so that we can assign them all at once which solves the previous BAD THING.

It was a BAD THING that if ANY node has a session open with the server at
the time you run the UPDATE command the entire update for ALL nodes is
aborted. It's a REALLY BAD THING that all nodes which may have already been
assigned a CLIENTOPTFILE prior to running the UPDATE command will have their
association deleted. OUCH!

Now, I don't mean to complain, ( he's lying, he's complaining), but I have
26,000 poor nodes on 10 servers at stake here so this is my current
solution:

Before I run the administrative command to update the nodes I am going to
Disable the sessions, then cancel all sessions, ( Praying to the mighty ADSM
God(s) that it actually cancels the sessions , 'cause we all know this is a
hit or miss thing, and then run the update and enable the server. We have to
run this daily since nodes come and go and move and what not.

What do ya think? ( Please, no slamming me for losing my mind!)

Regards -
CR

Cris Robinson
Sr. Technical Analyst
Enterprise Storage Management / ADSM
Liberty Mutual Insurance
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
603.431.8400.54837
mailto:cris.robinson AT libertymutual DOT com

Dilbert words of Wisdom:
Accept that some days you're the pigeon,
and some days you're the statue!