ADSM-L

Recovery log contention

1999-05-20 11:33:00
Subject: Recovery log contention
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 11:33:00 -0400
My site has a 3.1.2.20 ADSM server under MVS. We have a 12 megabyte recovery
log. We do not use roll-forward mode. Until last weekend, I never saw the
recovery log utilization go above 40 percent. Last weekend we ran a backup of
a mail repository with about a million files, with most of the files having
sizes of a couple of kilobytes. The backup was still running when the 'backup
stgpool' commands used to create offsite backup tapes started. The recovery
log utilization increased rapidly until the recovery log was full. At that
point the client backup ended and the recovery log occupancy dropped off. The
log on the client system reported that the backup was terminated because it
detected a system error.

This weekend our database administrators are planning a major upgrade and
reorganization of an Oracle server, and plan to run ADSM backups at various
points in the process. The times of these backups will depend on how long the
various steps in the process take, and are not known in advance. It is
entirely possible that some of them will overlap the storage pool backups. The
backups will contain a couple of hundred files with sizes ranging from a few
megabytes to about two gigabytes. With this kind of size distribution, are we
likely to see problems with recovery log utilization if the Oracle server
backups overlap with storage pool backups? Can the problem be cured by
increasing the recovery log size to some reasonable value?