ADSM-L

Re: Archives and management classes for directories

1999-05-20 04:09:05
Subject: Re: Archives and management classes for directories
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 10:09:05 +0200
Trevor,

let me explain my wholehearted assistance to your complaints. In March,
Paul Zarnowski already complained about it (Subject: Archive retention for
directories). Paul, has anything happend in between?

In my case, this new "feature" of ADSM V.3 prevents at least one of my
clients from being upgraded to version 3. This client archives about 200
files per day, using seperate archive commands. The files are archived for
30 days. With version 3, the 5 directories above these files would also be
archived, and they would be archived for 10 years. I would end up with
3660000 archived directories (5 directories for each of the 200 files per
day archived for 3660 days), which largely are identical (the archived
files all come from the same directory), and which are never needed.

This way, my perpetual struggle to keep the ADSM data base at a manageable
size is condemned to fail.

And, no, the -FILESONLY option does not help. At least the 3.1.0.6 clients
I tested, do archive the directories in spite of specifying that option.
According to APAR IX78468 this is the target behaviour. Again, I do not
understand the reason.

As Paul noted, IBM has suggested using DELETE ARCHIVE combined with a
clever use of archive descriptions. While I might do that on the clients
managed by me (although I do not like it - it's extra work), it is not an
option for all other clients; they probably simply don't care.

Best regards,

Reinhard

--
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet