ADSM-L

Archives and management classes for directories

1999-05-20 01:32:06
Subject: Archives and management classes for directories
From: Trevor Foley <Trevor.Foley AT BANKERSTRUST.COM DOT AU>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 15:32:06 +1000
G'day,

I am having a bit of a problem understanding the why archives work the way that
they do. I am hoping that someone might be able to explain it to me. If not,
I'll log a call with IBM.

First, I like that fact that with ADSM V3 the directories are now save along
with the files. What I am having trouble understanding is why the directories
are bound to the management class with the longest retention period. That makes
sense for backups, but when you perform on archive, all files that are archived
with one command are bound to the same management class. Should directories
also be bound to this management class? The only reason that I see that this
should not be the case is that it is possible to add files to an archive group
by specifying the same description. But is seems that directories get archived
again when you do this.

We have a situation where the number of directories being saved is getting a
little out of control. An example. If I execute the following select command,
where 'DUMP' is the name of a directory:

        select count(*) from archives where node_name='AUPOZA404' and
filespace_name='\\aupoza404\d$' and hl_name='\SYSDATA\SQL\' and ll_name='DUMP'

I get 13782 returned. The SYSDATA and SQL directories have a similar count
(each 13785). If I now look at the files within that directory by doing:

        select count(*) from archives where node_name='AUPOZA404' and
filespace_name='\\aupoza404\d$' and hl_name='\SYSDATA\SQL\DUMP\'

I get 2575 returned. So to have 2575 files archived, I have to wear another
13782+13785+13785=41352 database entries for the directories. And this is just
one of approximately 100 ADSM clients.

Many of the files that are archived from this directory are archived for only
short periods (days or a few weeks) but the directories are getting archived
for 10 years because the management class with the longest retention specifies
10 years. What then happens is that the files are expired quite quickly, but
the directories do not.

So in the worst case, if I archive a file from this directory with a 1 day
retention, I get 3 directories ('SYSDATA', 'SQL' and 'DUMP') archived as well
which stay around for 10 days. And if this file is archived every day, the
number of directories grows very quickly.

Yes, I could specify -FILESONLY on the archive, but I want the directories
archived with the files. It would also require changes to some application code
that I would like to avoid.

So I have to questions. First, can I change this behaviour? My understanding is
no, so I guess that means talking to IBM. And second, how to I clean up the
mess (automatically and regularly). If we were using the default archive
descriptions (date, time, etc) I can see a way of doing it manually. But we use
the same description every time we run the archive.

thanks,

Trevor