ADSM-L

Re: Doesn't delete a volume return it to scratch?

1999-05-19 12:45:42
Subject: Re: Doesn't delete a volume return it to scratch?
From: "Vraspir, Mary J." <MJVraspir AT WEST DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 11:45:42 -0500
From the 'help update stg'
MAXSCRatch=number
     Specifies the maximum number of scratch volumes that ADSM can request.
     This parameter is optional. You can specify an integer from 0 to
     100000000. By allowing ADSM to request scratch volumes, you avoid
     having to define each volume to be used.

     The value specified for this parameter is used to estimate the total
     number of volumes available in the storage pool and the corresponding
     estimated capacity for the storage pool.

     Scratch volumes are automatically deleted from the storage pool when
     they become empty. When scratch volumes with the device type of FILE
     are deleted, the space that the volumes occupied is freed by ADSM and
     returned to the file system.

This bit me one day.  I had added new scratch tapes without upping the
maxscr.  ADSM did not know they were available.  All processes that wanted a
scratch tape mounted were waiting for the same volume.
I hope this helps.
Mary Vraspir
West Teleservices
Omaha,NE