ADSM-L

DRM Off-site pool using Private tapes?

1999-05-14 12:24:49
Subject: DRM Off-site pool using Private tapes?
From: Joshua Bassi <jbassi AT GLORYWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 09:24:49 -0700
All,

Is anybody using Private stgpool volumes for their DRM off-site pool?  If
so, are you automating their return to that stgpool?

I have a customer who has a business requirement to use Private stgpool
volumes in his off-site DR pool.  But once the volumes are reintroduced to
the 3494, moved back on-site with the move drmedia command, and checked into
the library, we all know they are deleted from the off-site pool.  My
struggle is how to automate defining those specific volumes back to the
off-site pool.

I am looking for a SQL Select command or script to list only those volumes
so that I can script a define volume command against only those volumes.  I
could easily script it so that all private volumes in the library belonging
to the "A" series (off-site stgpool volumes) were defined to that stgpool,
but when I hit the ones already defined to that stgpool, I would get an
annoying error message freaking out operations.

Here is what I have tried so far:

1) "dsmadmc -id= -pa= q libvol|grep -vie Scratch -vie Data -vie DbBackup|awk
'{print $1}'|grep ^A[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9] >
/adsm/tmp/libvol_private_tapes"

to list all of the private tapes in the 3494 that are not DB backups and
don't have data on them.  Cut everything else out but the volume names and
redirect to /adsm/tmp/libvol_private_tapes.  This is only partially correct
because volumes defined to the off-site DR pool and not yet written to are
also listed.  There is nothing else in q libvol that I can look for to
distinguish private volumes defined to the stgpool from and private volumes
not defined to the stgpool.

2) "dsmadmc -id= -pa= q vol|grep -e DRMOFFSITE|awk '{print $1}' >
/adsm/tmp/stg_tapes"

to list all of the tapes in the DR pool.  I have tried a few UNIX command
(including for, diff, cut, etc.) to find all volumes in libvol_private_tapes
that are not also in stg_tapes to no avail.

3) For a while I gave up on that one and tried SQL select commands.  I could
generate the same output as before, but my SQL isn't good enough to compare
the output of 2 select commands.

Logistics:
RS/6000 S70 running AIX 4.3.1
ADSM Server 3.1.2.1
     Client 3.1.0.6
3494 w/ 8 3590s

-
-
Joshua S. Bassi                       E-mail:
Joshua S. Bassi                       E-mail:
jbassi AT gloryworks DOT com
Storage Management Team Lead          Cell/Pager/VM:    (408) 836-7147
Dickens Services Group                Internet:         www.TeamDSG.com
-
-