ADSM-L

Re: Users' Questions (pt 3)

1999-05-13 22:32:02
Subject: Re: Users' Questions (pt 3)
From: Bruce Elrick <belrick AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 20:32:02 -0600
Ramesh & Fred...

That depends...UNIXes will buffer a process' writes to a file, typically with a
4 kB buffer, unless the process calls a flush.  In ADSM's case, you may find
that it won't write enough to the
schedlog during the time that it is backing it up to cause the OS to write the
buffer, in which case the file does not change during backup and the backup is
successful.

I bet that the system it fails on has a fair number of files being backed up
before and after it reaches the schedlog.  Those systems will see the log
change as the OS writes the buffer and,
assuming you are not using dynamic it will fail.

As with any text log, it is certainly valid to backup whatever you can get, so
if you value the schedlog you may want to bind it to a 'textlog' mgmtclass that
is dynamic.

Why would you want the schedlog?  It may be useful to know what was backed up
last night when the disk (containing the schedlog and some other important
stuff) dies this morning.

Cheers...
Bruce

--