ADSM-L

Win98 Bare Metal Restore ... Access Denied

1999-05-13 18:15:41
Subject: Win98 Bare Metal Restore ... Access Denied
From: Eric LEWIS <eric.lewis AT CCMAIL.ADP.WISC DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 16:15:41 -0600
     Hi:  I am trying the bare metal restore procedure as follows:

     install Win98 into Winrep directory in drive C.  Install ADSM client
     into nonstandard directory.  set up tcpip.

     lauch GUI client and initiate a restore into the original location.

     This has worked before but this time I got 289 access denied messages
     for files and directories including adsm98.sys and other directories
     that were not present on the drive C prior to the restore.

     Why would access be denied for restoring a directory that does not
     already exist?  There are a lot of directories and some files in
     Program Files directory that did not exist and access was denied on
     the restore.

     Also directories in the WINDOWS directory were not restored because
     access was denied though there was no Windows directory on the system
     at the time the restore started either.

     Eric Lewis UW-Madison