ADSM-L

Performance problems with large number of files

1999-05-10 16:43:02
Subject: Performance problems with large number of files
From: Chuck Mattern <Chuck_Mattern AT HOMEDEPOT DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 16:43:02 -0400
I have an AIX server (ADSM client) that has some large filesystems (~80 gigs)
and a large number of files (~3 million).  The machine has 512 megs of RAM, 1.5
megs of swap and, until the number of files topped 1 million per filesystem, no
performance problems.  File average 40k in size.  ADSM is used for backup and
for HSM.  Currently backup of one of these big filesystems can take as much as
60 hours.  We are forced to use memoryefficientbackup lest dsmc fail with an out
of memory error.  The machine never runs out of memory so it must be the dsmc
client.  We have tried setting the priority to the max with nice and have tried
setting ulimit for memory and data to unlimited.  Still must use
memoryefficientbackup and still need hideous amount of time to backup.

Has anyone dealt with a situation like this in the past (hopefully with
success)?

Thanks in advance,
Chuck