ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:43:35
Hello Everyone. For weeks now, I've been communicating
with ADSM support regarding a problem which we encountered
while running archive process.  I will not go into details about
the problem but I would like to tell you how ADSM is trying to
solve the problem.

4/13/99 - Angel:  We have a problem with our archive process.
It loops on the same tape over and over. We are using 3590 lib.

4/14/99 - ADSM: Send us the activity log, backup log and error log.

4/14/99 - Angel:  Sent them logs.
.
.
4/28/99 - ADSM Level 2: Please send us your configuration again.

4/28/99 - Angel: Sent them configuration again.

4/29/99 - ADSM Level 2:  Just a check, you did tell
me...blah..blah..blah

4/29/99 - ADSM Level 2:  I just got a note from development about some
problems using a Version 2 client with a Version 3 server.  They seem
to think you fall into this category.

4/29/99 - Angel - What category is that?  If it is a known problem, then
what is the fix?  Please don't come back to me saying client Version 2
is the problem. It is easy to blame Version 2 since it's unsupported.
We've never encountered this problem with ADSM Version 2.  Tell your
development group the problem is already identified in Version 3.  To be
more specific, it is in 3.1.2.0. I was hoping they would tell me that.
Our server is already at 3.1.2.20.

4/30/99 - ADSM Level 2:  Development would like you to trace the pvr mms
systime and recreate the problem.

4/30/99 - Angel:  I don't know how to recreate the problem.  The problem
occurred when ADSM was trying to archive small files, avg 475-byte
files,
on a 100% filling tape.

5/5/99 - Angel: Hello. Do you have any status on this PMR? Is
development
running some tests?

5/6/99 - ADSM Level 2:  Development sent me a note and said if you add
the quiet option to your V2 client options file it should work.

5/6/99 - Angel: Do you agree with development's suggestion, e.g.., quiet
option?
You and I both know that the "quiet" option only prevents messages from
being displayed on the screen during ADSM processing.  Do you know if
development ran tests?  The suggestion is not acceptable. I want to be
able
to see what's being backed up.

5/7/99 - ADSM Level 2: Can you recreate this problem?  The only time we
have seen this problem is when there are not any scratch tapes are
available
in the library.  This can be cause by either no scratch tapes in the
library or
the maxscratch equals the number of private volumes in the library.

Looks like we're starting over again. I am thinking of closing the PMR.
Maybe the problem is just one of those in a lifetime. My concern is that
it might happen again--or this time it might happen to someone else.

Any suggestions?

Aloha,
Angel Bugarin
Sprint/Hawaii