ADSM-L

NT client disaster recovery

1999-05-06 09:23:13
Subject: NT client disaster recovery
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 09:23:13 -0400
> Without investigating, I was thinking I could get the server up all the way
> an install of NT, but install it into a different directory, install ADSM,
> recover c:\ADSM.SYS and the rest of my OS drive, restore the directory from
> ADSM.SYS, and then modify boot.ini to boot from my newly restored Windows
> directory. Am I missing any big steps here?

My site recently did something very much like this. We installed ADSM as well
as Windows NT in a non-standard directory. If I remember correctly, it is the
registry rather than the directory that gets restored from ADSM.SYS. Depending
on the configurations of the original and recovery systems, you might not need
to modify boot.ini. We had no trouble restoring the original boot.ini. If it
had been compatible with the hardware on the recovery system, I think we could
have used it without modification.

We were completely successful in recreating the original population of files
on the C: drive. Unfortunately, our recovery system and the original system
had substantially different hardware configurations. One of our Windows NT
administrators and the staff of our disaster recovery vendor had to replace or
edit several files to get the system to work in its new hardware environment.