ADSM-L

Re: Q: growing dsmc sched core image on AIX 4.2.1

1999-05-05 20:54:28
Subject: Re: Q: growing dsmc sched core image on AIX 4.2.1
From: Bruce Elrick <belrick AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 18:54:28 -0600
In my experience writing programs for AIX that allocate memory, if you use
malloc
to allocate memory then susequently call free, the memory is put back within the
pool of memory that the program has available for subsequent calls to malloc;
the
process never deallocates the memory.  The way to deallocate the memory so that
it
is available for other processes is to skip using malloc and make calls to sbrk
yourself and manage the memory yourself.

Perhaps ADSM simply uses malloc and suffers the same fate in that it does not
shrink between nightly backups.  That being said, there should be no reason for
it
growing significantly after a night or two of backups.

Cheers...
Bruce

--
Bruce Elrick, Ph.D.