ADSM-L

Re: Volume consolidation.

1999-05-02 21:33:30
Subject: Re: Volume consolidation.
From: Russell Street <russells AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 13:33:30 +1200
> Hi Russell.  Thanks for the tip.  The procedure seems appropriate.
> Our database is up to 10GB. I only have 8GB of space left for future
> growth. Though we're planning to get more SSA drives.
>
> Also, our dbv and logv are mirrored 3x each.  Is that something we
> need to consider with your procedure?

If you are prepared to accept the minor risks, you can delete the
second and third copies of the database mirrors.

After removing their underlying files, you can then have space create
two new large volumes.  You can then use one of them as the new
database volume, the other as its first mirror.

Then you can delete the remaining original database volumes.  ADSM
will move all the pages onto the new, empty volumes.

Once the original small volumes are out of ADSM: delete the underlying
files, create a third large file and define it as the third mirror.

If the risk with undoing the mirroring is not acceptable, then waiting
for more physical space is the best bet.  Then just define three new
large volumes on the new disk, define them as database volumes and
database volume copies and then delete the old volumes.

Unfortunately, ADSM will not move the database pages around until you
delete the last mirror.

So for instance, I have a two way mirror and I want to remove c0t9d0s0
and c1t9d0s0 from the system:

ANS8000I Server command: 'qu dbv f=d'

Volume Name          Copy       Volume Name          Copy       Volume Name
     Copy       Available     Allocated         Free
(Copy 1)             Status     (Copy 2)             Status     (Copy 3)
     Status         Space         Space        Space

                     (MB)          (MB)         (MB)
----------------     ------     ----------------     ------
----------------     ------     ---------     ---------     --------
/dev/rdsk/c0t9d-     Sync'd     /dev/rdsk/c1t9d-     Sync'd
     Undef-         7,168         7,168            0
/dev/rdsk/c0t9d-     Sync'd     /dev/rdsk/c1t9d-     Sync'd
     Undef-         7,168         7,168            0
 0s0                             0s0
      ined
/dev/rdsk/c0t11-     Sync'd     /dev/rdsk/c1t11-     Sync'd
     Undef-         7,168         7,168            0
 d0s0                            d0s0
      ined
/dev/rdsk/c0t12-     Sync'd     /dev/rdsk/c1t10-     Sync'd
     Undef-         7,168         7,168            0
 d0s0                            d0s0
      ined

If I ran "delete dbv /dev/rdsk/c1t9d0s0" it will drop the mirror
instantly.  When I run "delete dbv /dev/rdsk/c0t9d0s0" the pages will
be copied.

This means there will still be period when ADSM has only one copy of
some database pages.  I do not think there is a work around.  If I am
wrong on that, someone let me know.

Russell